At the moment since we are not using VIOS, we replicate all all the LUNs
from production to DR including the IPL source volumes.

On IPL of the DR instance we have scripts or configurations I think, that
look at the serial number of the Power server it's running on and then sets
either a primary or secondary network configuration to account for the
different IP addresses and subnets in the DR site.

Not sure how it's done but the DR LPAR sees its LUNs okay since it's define
in the HMC.

What I think you are saying is, because you have VIOS the actual
configuration of the adapters is no longer set in the HMC but in VIOS (the
HMC only knows about the physical cards. Since the VIOS configuration is
specific to the actual server configuration etc. then we need a separate
VIOS configuration for each Power server. But all the other data on the SAN
such as IPL source, LUNS for the data etc. are replicated between the two
data centres.

So during IPL the bootstrap code looks first at the VIOS configuration to
know what adapters it has (physical or virtual) before branching to the OS
code? Or something like that?

So using my mainframe background VIOS is sort of like a cutdown version of
PR/SM on Z boxes?

On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 10:05 PM Marc Rauzier <marc.rauzier@xxxxxxxxx>