RS233 is an extension I have not heard of. I will subtract 1. :-)

This can be done with the Perle IOLAN devices. Effectively IBM i communicates to the IOLAN box with IP and the IOLAN box outputs RS232. If you were to put a modem on that port for example you can connect to the modem and enter AT commands and read responses. The Serial ports are of course fully configurable for speed bitness etc. They sell the boxes with different numbers of ports. We have one in place with 8 ports for example.

So your program interacts with the line just as if it were a serial port on IBM i but the physical connection is to the iOLAN device.

This is IBM supported since about i 7.2.

- DrF