I have the AS/400 parts in a CL program that builds the overlay and then
prints a dummy form automatically, hopefully with the overlay. You end up
with only a handful of steps--change the overlay, print it, move the .PRN
to QDLS, run the script (below), review your results--and a bit of
automation simplifies the task.

A reminder: use iACS's "Printer Output" to view your results as a PDF. I
have a color printer but it printed the form in monochrome because I had
"host print transform" configured to a monochrome printer. To change this,
open the iACS printer session, and go Communications | Configure | OS400
options. FYI, so far I have not found a color printer that prints the
color overlay. Sigh...but I think finding the right printer is the last
piece of the puzzle.

Sidebar: how long ago was the name "OS/400" killed by IBM? And when was
iACS first released?

Have fun!

--reeve

1. Go to
https://dl.ricohsoftware.com/downloads/aa9a248e-101c-4aa6-b109-1cf7403f3b4f
2. Download the “AFP Driver for Windows V3”.
3. In Windows Settings, select “Add a printer”.
4. Select “The printer that I want isn’t listed”.
5. Select “Add a local printer with manual settings”.
6. Select “Use an existing port”.
7. Click “Windows Update” to refresh the Windows printer directory (this
will take several minutes).
8. Find InfoPrint in the manufacturer list.
9. Install the “Generic InfoPrint 300dpi AFP” driver.
10. Select “Printer Properties”.
1. Click “Port”.
2. Change port to “FILE”.
11. Still in Printer Properties, click “Preferences”.
1. Change Output Type to “Overlay”.
12. Click “Image Options”.
1. Select:
1. Gray Scale Method = “Photographic dither”
2. Graphic Options = “Basic”
3. Color Options = “Full color”
4. Compression = “LZW”
13. Open the Word document you’re using as your overlay source.
14. Select Print.
15. Select the previously-configured 300 DPI printer.
16. Select Print.
17. When prompted, enter a file name in 8.3 format (like OVERLAY.PRN)
18. Move/copy the .PRN file to your QDLS folder
19. Do something like this, where OVERLAYS is a subfolder in the QDLS
folder, &FROMDOC is the .PRN file, and &OVERLAY is the *OVL object:

CRTPF FILE(QTEMP/OVERLAY) RCDLEN(32766) MBR(*NONE) LVLCHK(*NO)

CPYFRMPCD FROMFLR(OVERLAYS) TOFILE(QTEMP/OVERLAY) FROMDOC(&FROMDOC)
TOMBR(OVERLAY) TRNTBL(*NONE) TRNFMT(*NOTEXT)

CRTOVL OVL(&TOLIB/&OVERLAY) FILE(QTEMP/OVERLAY) MBR(OVERLAY)

CHGPRTF FILE(your_PRTF) DEVTYPE(*AFPDS) PRTQLTY(*STD) FRONTOVL(&OVERLAY)
YADA(YADA)