With NVMe drives you might be able to cheat a little since you will have
two of them anyway and they mirror each other but the problem is VIOS wants
to own all the hardware. As Larry pointed out, slot space is precious so
needing those extra controllers winds up being a waste of slot space in my
opinion.

Again all three of us that responded to this agreed that it is 1)
preference, and 2) we prefer SAN boot.

Yes, I've seen SANs go down. (just had one two months ago) But if the
SAN goes down, the partitions that rely on that storage go down too, so
where's the savings? In the case of the failure I ran into once we get the
SAN back up and running, IBM i just connected and took off on its merry way
without dropping a beat. (and it was three days to get the SAN repaired
due to parts spread all over the US)

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect