ABSOLUTELY Agree with Brad here and DISagree with Steve.

Check out www.grar.com as one example.

This ran for YEARS on a P05 POWER7 taking MILLIONS of hits a day. Today it runs on POWER9 and takes MORE millions of hits a day. Open source PHP and SQL.

I have MANY customers using web services internally as well with excellent performance on small machines even with large databases and complicated queries.

- Larry