As Patrick alluded too, there is much more to this than the drive.

I agree that leaving the DTACPR and COMPACT parameters is correct. Let the drive compress it will only slow down if you force it not to and it will take more tape too, double fail.

From my experience the speed delta between 1/2 high and full high drives is negligible.

Also from my experience, 'it's not the tape drive.' It almost never is any more. Sure, back in the QIC or 8MM or even LTO1 drive days it often was, but for most IBM i shops an LTO7 won't be the problem.

As you haven't mentioned anything about the size of the server, processor, memory, number and type of arms, or the type of the data being saved, we would only be guessing at what might help.

- DrF