True too. The IBM i DB2 does support it though and it is okay.

Javier

El sáb, 16 de jul. de 2022 12:45 p. m., <smith5646midrange@xxxxxxxxx>
escribió:

Not all SQL versions have EXCEPTION JOIN (MySQL is one of them) so I have
changed my approach to use "where not exists" clauses so it is version
independent.

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of
Vern Hamberg via MIDRANGE-L
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2022 8:53 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Difference between inner join and join in SQL query

​​​​​Javier

LEFT JOIN is not an INNER JOIN and not the same as JOIN - according to the
IBM i SQL Reference, there are 4 groups of JOIN operators - INNER, OUTER,
EXCEPTION, and CROSS. The manual says - and Jerry, please do google
searches or get the SQL Reference, all your answers are there.

The manual says that if there is no JOIN OPERATOR it is an INNER JOIN.

LEFT, RIGHT, or FULL by itself is an OUTER. You can't use OUTER by itself.

EXCEPTION by itself is a LEFT EXCEPTION, you can also specify RIGHT
EXCEPTION.

Finally you have a CROSS.

These are very much SQL standard - IBM i is one of the most
standards-compliant version of SQL in the industry.

Cheers
Vern