IBM Has made many levels of Firmware available even without hardware support. I have yet to run into a situation where PTFs won't go on without the current firmware but HAVE seen where they don't work as intended without that.

As to the lack of IBM personnel and parts in the hardware maintenance area that is a real thing. This is a consequence of them keeping parts in kentucky, not training folks, and working the remaining ones on excessive overtime.

It's also a consequence of good competition such as Service Express. :-)

- DrF