Wow, this reminds me of a query I have posted here some (many) years ago

I have even opened a DCR (*MR033115573) * - see partial log following

Gad

Hello pundits

Need help with the following:

April 23 2018
Some years ago (was it ten?) I've created an MQT
to "union" customers from several disparate applications on the i
so a web application may select one regardless of it's original application.
it goes as follows:

CREATE OR REPLACE TABLE URPS/CUSTS_V1MQ AS
select 'a' as type, custn as custno, name from custs_app1
union
select 'b' as type, customer as custno, name from custs_app2
union
select 'c' as type, cust as custno, name from custs_app3
etc..

DATA INITIALLY IMMEDIATE
REFRESH DEFERRED
MAINTAINED BY USER

I tried REFRESH IMMEDIATE then but found it's not supported on the i (it
was iseries or AS/400 then) so I had the web app issue a REFRESH TABLE
first.

(My intention was building a LF over the MQT keyed by type and custno)

I've asked (at the time) a helpful IBM guy if REFRESH IMMEDIATE will be
supported in the future (RFE?) and was discouraged.

Does any of you know if REFRESH IMMEDIATE is now supported?
is there an open RFE ?

TIA
Gad

Gad Miron <gadmiron@xxxxxxxxx>
Sat, Aug 25, 2018, 1:07 PM
to rpg400-l
Dave

Some years ago following a similar issue I've opened a *D*esign *C*hange *R*
equest (MRT MR033115573)

asking for a MQT's feature " REFRESH IMMEDIAT MAINTAINED BY SYSTEM" to be
available.

I've even had some responses from IBM but got no further. see following.

If others seconds this DCR it may help...

*Design Change Request *- Thank You for your Design Change Request
submission regarding System i.

You request has been acknowledged and issued the following
Marketing Requirement Tracking number : *MR033115573*

*Title* : MQT's REFRESH IMMEDIAT MAINTAINED BY SYSTEM

*Description *: the following MQT creation is available for some years now.
I'd like to know if REFRESH IMMEDIAT MAINTAINED BY SYSTEM will be available
anytime soon

CREATE TABLE DailyMQT AS
(SELECT Branch, salesdate,
SUM(Revenue) as Total_Revenue,
SUM(Units) as Total_Units,
FROM SalesDetails
GROUP BY Branch, salesdate)
DATA INITIALLY IMMEDIATE
REFRESH DEFERRED
MAINTAINED BY USER;

Alternately, enabling a LF over a LF might do the trick as well.

Gad

date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 07:18:58 +0300
from: Gad Miron <gadmiron@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: MQT Refresh Immediate

[...]

Oh, and what MAINTAINED BY SYSTEM means?

------------------------------

date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 06:46:22 +0200
from: "Birgitta Hauser" <Hauser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: MQT Refresh Immediate

Refresh immediate on MQTs for Db2 for i is not yet realized.

Mit freundlichen Gr??en / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

Brown)
and keeping them!"
?Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they
don't want to.? (Richard Branson)

date: Thu, 7 Jul 2022 14:51:10 -0400
from: Robert Rogerson <rogersonra@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: MQT on IBM i and maintained by system

Hello All,

My boss found this article (
https://developer.ibm.com/articles/dm-0509melnyk/) on MQTs which refers to
MQTs maintained by system. I believe this article is referring to DB2 LUW
although I couldn't find the database specifically referred to.

I then found this article on stackoverflow (

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/55287128/db2-for-i-triggers-once-per-statement-but-comparing-before-and-after-values
)
where Charles mentions that maintained by system is not available on the
IBM i.

As the comment was from March 2019 I just wanted to confirm that MQTs
maintained by the system are still not available on the IBM i. I couldn't
find any documentation to say they were now available but I may have missed
it.

MQTs maintained by the system are still not available on the IBM i correct?

Thanks,

Rob