Distinguishing between the capital letter "oh" and the digit zero is
perhaps the single most fundamental thing that makes a font
programmer-friendly. The next biggest thing is having distinct lower
"ell", capital "eye", and number one.

These things are built into the font, so you have to pick a font that
is expressly designed with programming in mind. As mentioned, Lucida
Console is not.

My strong preference for ACS font is JetBrains Mono. I have found this
even better than IBM 3270 (which I loved in Client Access and its
successors but not in ACS). This not only has highly distinguishable
glyphs, it has the distinction of having the 'g' and 'q' descenders
NOT blend into the underline, which is actually a problem in the vast
majority of fonts that I have tried for 5250 emulator use (and I have
tried MANY!). To top it all off, it was not only designed for
programming, but it was designed to be rendered well by Java (because
JetBrains makes various IDEs implemented in Java). And this last thing
is what makes it even better than other excellent programmer-friendly
fonts ***when it comes to ACS***, which has some Java-based rendering
issues. (For most other terminal/editor/IDE software, I find other
choices equal to or better than JetBrains Mono.)

John Y.