Full System Flash Copy Toolkit does not require iASP but can be used with iASP if you have them. It does require a PowerHA for I license.
Looking at the steps below is the reason people license the Lab Services tool kit. All of the is automated and scheduled.
From: Rameez Raza<mailto:rameraza@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2022 4:16 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion<mailto:midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: BRMS flash copy
Flashcopy backup using PowerHA requires IBMi cluster and iASP.
BRMS flashcopy does not require PowerHA and hence can be implemented for
system having iASP or Sysbase only. You can use BRMS flashcopy to take
backup as under
On Source Side ( SYSTEMA )
To do the FlashCopy backup of SYSTEMA. You need to follow the steps
1)End SYSTEMA to Restricted State.
2)Check that System has reached to restricted state ( There are API to do
this ). When you put the system in restricted state Main Memory of SYSTEMA
would be flushed and all contents would be written to disk. This way you
would reduce chances damaged object on FLASHSYS ( Flash Copy System of
3) Change the IPLA of SYSTEMA to start in restircted state
4) Set the source system to Flash Copy State ( There are commands to do
5) Indicate to SYSTEMA that backup is in progress on FLASHSYS ( Though
backup has not started )
6) Now Split the association between Source Disk Array and the Flash Disk
Array. This is called ENDPPRC link in IBM term and Split in EMC Term. A
number of checks can be incorporated to make this step more robust
7) Once the split is complete , Change the IPLA of SYSTEMA to start the
8) Start QCTL on SYSTEMA
9) Do Not Run Any backup on SYSTEMA till the time backup is running or
better say that till the time the backup completes on FLASHSYSA and QUSRBRM
( BRMS data Library ) is restored to SYSTEMA.
Target Side ( FLASHSYS System Side)
1) IPL the FLASHSYS after the split is complete or after the ENDPPRC is
2) FLASHSYS will come up in Restricted state or it will stall if it cant
find the load source disk ( if the split is failure )
3) Change the Flash state from source to flash target ( there are commands
to do this , its easy)
4) Remove Production IP address, Remote Route ( if required ) and assign
new ip adress and new Route. New IP address means dynamically creating line
description with correct resource name ( its easy )
5) Set Restricted state TCP/IP interface for BRMS to talk to other systems
in BRMS network
6) Do the backup
7) Irrespective of weather backup completes normally or abnormally, save
entire QUSRBRM in to save file and FTP it to source system SYSTEMA ( to be
done as batch FTP )
Source Side ( SYSTEMA ) - Steps would be executed as part of FTP job from
1) Clear QUSRBRM
2) Add to system reply list default reply of I to ignore deletion of
unsaved journal receiver
3) Restore QUSRBRM
4) Ensure the QUSRBRM is restore succesfful. If yes then indicate to
SYSTEMA that backup is now compelete on FLASHSYS.
5) End the Flash Copy on source.
On Thu, 19 May 2022, 19:34 Rob Berendt, <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I hear talk of something called BRMS flash copy.
Is this something which still requires two lpars and/or systems or can you
do a flash copy, and start the backup from the flash copy?
Do you have to quisce the system during the flash copy?
IBM Certified System Administrator - IBM i 6.1
Mail to: 7310 Innovation Blvd, Suite 104
Ft. Wayne, IN 46818
Ship to: 7310 Innovation Blvd, Dock 9C
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.