And we regularly do it so we can shut off the "normal end users" and still
have normal access for system admin or unique users that are testing or
other activity. Also like Rob we tend to have the web services listen on a
specific address to control that too. Web services that might be exposed
to the internet are different again. Then there's replication on the
partition as opposed to SAN replication. The list goes on from there. Now
we can start/stop those addresses without shutting down TCP. Comes in
really handy.

Examples:
So primary address: 172.16.1.70.
Admin/Special address: 172.16.1.60
Internet web address: 172.16.5.75 (*note third octet is different)
Internal Web address: 172.16.1.71 (*note third octet again)
Replication address: 172.16.2.70 (*note third octet again)

It can get to be quite a list if you take it to the extreme. As Patrik
points out, all on one cable. This of course is not illustrating the
normal fault tolerance for failover with multiple NIC cards etc. That just
adds a bunch more. Also, I have not included interpartition communications
either which of course would be another whole set of addresses on a
separate VLAN.....

Yea, we need multiple addresses on each partition.....

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect