With respect to that external plate and connector. I have added tape to that over the years to use for migrating customer to a new system with incompatible tape. Hook up the cable and assure the drive has power from an external source and it was recognized. Of course it had to be a drive that IBM i expected to see on that internal bus. So for example the 7208 can't be hooked up there as it needs to be on a dedicated SCSI card.

I believe the original function of the connection was for system testing at the point of manufacture and it wasn't intended for us to use in the field so there is little knowledge about it

Funny story when we built the box that had all those DVDs in it on one chain they were all recognized. IBM i actually created four DVD drives. BUT somehow, despite the multiple drives, they were all seen as one. So when you put a disk in and closed the drive, it attempted to mount it four times in /QOPT. This of course is a problem, and it simply kicked out the second drive, but it actually kicked open all four LOL! That's when I messed around and discovered that odd inverse addressing.

So your drive at 3, while not normal for a factory machine, is still valid and works fine.

With respect to correlation. As was mentioned by others many systems (all the later ones) set the SCSI address by the location in the canister while this guy, and the model 200, 400, and 436 (perhaps others?) required jumpers set on the drive per the chart on the inside of the cover.

We added external disk to a 170 (Frankie I) By cabling a disk canister from a model 620 to the open port on the RAID card. The system was happy with that, though it couldn't tell where those disks were located. Initially for heat we put a drive in slots 1,3,5 to allow more cooling. Those drives showed up in order to IBM i in Service tools despite being out of SCSI order. When we added a fan and then filled slots 2 and 4 those drives appeared at the end of the order in service tools.

- DrF