I'll add this. I've dealt with thousands using email on the IBM i over the
years. Some just think "it works, so it must be set up right" when in fact
they don't have the relaying set up properly at all. While it may work
internally, and for some external, it won't work for all because a lot of
systems are using reverse DNS lookups now, so if they can't map your IP to
a domain they will reject the email and you'll never know.

That's why we use Mail Servers/Relays as a single point of sending emails.
Network folks set those up to avoid these issues, as well as auto spam
marking, etc.

<vendor>
With MAILTOOL you can set up configurations, very easily, as the system,
user and command level. So there's a lot of fallback.

If you have a general use address you set that up as the default. If you
have another user who needs to use their own credentials and account, you
can set that up by user. And of course, you can always override most
things on the command itself.

You can even set up configurations with failovers if one doesn't work (ie,
if for some reason you're sending through O365 and it goes down, which does
happen, it can be set to automatically use something like a GMail or other
account.

And we also have options, as mentioned, that use OAuth 2.0 with GMail and
Office 365. Set up the user once using green screen and a browser, and
after that it will automatically refresh tokens for you. In the case of
O365 you may need to re-register as their refresh tokens also expire if not
used after a month or so. And if you change the password on your account
you'd have to re-register anyway.

Over 20 years in the making... it does a lot.. and for not much money...
even much less than your daily coffee. :)
</vendor>

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 3:56 PM John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>