Hi Roger,

Enjoy retirement! Thanks for your participation over the years.

-mark

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L<midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Roger Harman
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2021 8:54 PM
To: MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: A new chapter begins....

Well, after 37 years on the midrange platform, tomorrow will be my last day. Retirement awaits me.

It's been a good run and I have so many to thank for their help along the way.

Some of the old-timers may know of Howard Andrews. He used to be very involved in COMMON.

Howard gave me my first job in IT as a Jr. programmer. He taught an RPG class at the local Community College.

I enrolled in it as a lark - needed something in my schedule. Eventually he hired 6 of us from one of his classes. Started on a S/38 Model 4 or 6 as I recall running Release 6.

Bruce Fong was my first boss and, even though we were an RPG shop, taught me to program in C - which I had never seen before.

He also taught me how to do comms between PC's, Cash Registers, S/38. All using 3780 BiSync. Learned about 5294's as well.

BTW... My PC workstation had two floppy drives. Had to swap out diskettes to run the C linker. Wow!

And, of course, everyone on this list, whether you know it or not, has helped me in some fashion. I can't thank you enough.

David... Thank you so much for providing this wonderful forum. It's been a godsend to my career.

I'll still be hanging out and, hopefully, able to offer an occasional answer.

Thank you one and all - I consider you to be the friends that I've never met.

Roger Harman

COMMON Certified Application Developer - ILE RPG on IBM i on Power

or email:<mailto:MIDRANGE-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> MIDRANGE-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives at<https://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l> https://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.