From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Steve M via MIDRANGE-L
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2021 4:46 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion' <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Steve M <txpenguin1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Updates/PTFs/Patches/More

________________________________
CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the PENCOR network. Do not click on any links or open attachments unless the sender is known, and the content is verified as safe.

Similar to another post recently, but wanting a little more information.

Have signed on with a place which relies on very spotty support from a third-party company for hardware, software, and operations support. I have challenged them several times on not being "up-to-date" with the subject items on the LPARs (there is Dev, QA, Prod, and DR). Each time met with crickets unless I ask for something specific; then eventually supported sometime later at their leisure.

I have *SECOFR authority, so I should be able to execute anything suggested here - so here's my question. Been a long time since I had to get into the "Ops" side deeply, so what command(s) can I execute to simply "find out" where we are on updates/patches/cumloads both for the O/S (currently running 7.2 with a supposed "plan" to head to 7.4 sometime in the spring), but also the items needed for Open Source support (current on JVM, ODBC/JDBC, Apache, PHP, and such)?

I don't want to execute any download of patches or any installation of anything, just a report (if possible) of what we "should" have installed against what we do have installed. At this point, I can't even get the IFS to map as drive letter in Windows (for Java development directly to the IFS) they are so lost in how they've setup the network between the Production location and the hot-site location where they house the Dev/QA/DR system.

Wishing everyone a very Happy New Year and hopefully another year of growth of the IBM i...

Thanks,
Steve M.