Cell: 518.641.8906

------------------------------

message: 3
date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 16:03:03 +0000
from: "Mayer, Michael via MIDRANGE-L" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Remote code execution exploit found in Log4j

I also sent a ticket into IBM and they came back with the PSIRT site.
I started looking around and am also not sure about where to look on the IBM i side for any issues. We're going to have our network guy run A tenable scan on our IBM I's. I also have PowerTech and can scan for viruses.
We used to use Websphere but it's been turned off. We are licensed for DB2 Web Query but it's not used.

https://www.ibm.com/blogs/psirt/

I was also looking at these:
https://www.cve.org/CVERecord?id=CVE-2021-44228
https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2021-44228
https://www.ibm.com/blogs/psirt/an-update-on-the-apache-log4j-cve-2021-44228-vulnerability/
https://www.ibm.com/blogs/psirt/
https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/node/6525706
https://support.hcltechsw.com/csm?id=kb_article&sys_id=7d24111b1b188910a2f48661cd4bcb94&spa=1
https://support.hcltechsw.com/community?id=community_question&sys_id=a48372d2871449d85440c9d8cebb35ba

Very Respectfully,
Michael Mayer
IBM i on Power System Admin.
IT Operations.
The Florida Bar
651 E. Jefferson St
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-2300
mmayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
https://www.floridabar.org
Office: 850.561.5761
Cell: 518.641.8906

2. RE: Remote code execution exploit found in Log4j -
CVE-2021-44228 (Greg Wilburn)

------------------------------

message: 2
date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 15:41:13 +0000
from: Greg Wilburn <gwilburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: Remote code execution exploit found in Log4j -
CVE-2021-44228

IBM Support's response is to push you to the blog https://www.ibm.com/blogs/psirt/

Which then references the link below. Nothing in the link below tells me anything about the IBM i specifically. I added the environment variable and restarted DB2 Web Query. But beyond that, the steps are Greek to me.

The only application we have externally facing is DB2 Web Query. I asked if it was affected... support just keeps reiterating "our only communication is via the blog"

I have never seen IBM support so "evasive" about an issue.