From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Peter Dow
Sent: Monday, November 1, 2021 1:59 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Sql views across libraries and restoring from backup

This email originated outside of Everence. Do not click links or attachments unless you recognize the sender.

Hi Dean,

SQL views are not exactly the same as logical files. They are more like
a stored SQL statement. When you open the view, that's when the SQL
statement is performed.

From https://www.rpgpgm.com/2015/09/build-views-and-views-of-views.html<https://www.rpgpgm.com/2015/09/build-views-and-views-of-views.html>

"When you have a Logical file and you update the "parent" Physical file,
the Logical file is also updated. If you build hundreds of Logical files
it slows downs updates as after the Physical file is updated all of its
Logical files have to be updated too. In my consulting days I have seen
a Physical file with over 200 dependent Logical files.

Views are different. They are not updated when the Physical file, or DDL
table, is updated. Only when the View is used is the data accessed from
the file or table. This leads to one of points Paul made where I wanted
to exclaim "Right on!". You could have many hundreds, nay thousands, of
Views on your IBM i and they would not affect the performance of your
server."

So when a view is restored, the SQL statement is not performed. It does
not matter where the files are until you open the view. As long as you
do that after all restores are completed, it will work fine.

--
*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.