To answer my own question, what I was missing is that the System Debugger does not use the same method to connect to the IBM i that ACS and Run SQL Scripts use.

ACS and Run SQL Scripts use the systems defined in the ACS -> System Configurations.

Run SQL Scripts apparently passes the system name and job to the System Debugger, which displays it in the window title bar, but when it actually tries to connect, it uses the system name and does its own thing to connect, i.e. it does not use the IP address associated with that system name in the ACS System Configuration.

Once in the System Debugger, I had to use File -> Change System and use an appropriate name or IP address that's ping-able from Windows, which in this case, none of the system names in the System Configuration were.

--
*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.