Rob,

best practice for all flavours of SQL is:
- don't use any table (as400 calls it physical file) in any programm
- create a 1:1 base view
- provide views, based on the base viewa for all user access
- avoid schema to schema relations (this is most important for tables, indexes and functions/procedures, constraints)
- there might be seperate view layers for query users (these could be seperated by security settings or creating a diffrent schema with aliases or even views)
special hint for as/400: don't use libl for database access (think about having a referential constraint and read (or write) parent from one lib and child from another!!!)
SQL on as400 will assist your security requirements by its default settings!

D*B