We manually vary on tape devices in QSTRUP. This was per IBM support in
2014.

date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 19:31:43 +0000
from: "Steinmetz, Paul via MIDRANGE-L" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Tape Drives Do Not Vary On at IPL

Last several IPLs, I've been noticing that not all tape drives are
reporting in properly.
This is turn caused a following dedicated system save to fail - Minimum
number of resources not available.

IBM support is suggesting I set the library device, TAPMLB01, Online at
IPL to *NO, and vary on manually in my QSTRUP pgm.

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/node/644039

Resolving The Problem
With the advent of faster processors in the IBM System i products, IPL
times are becoming shorter and shorter. As a result, some tape drive
resources have not reported into the Hardware Service Manager (HSM) in
Service Tools by the time the system is ready to VARY ON the tape or tape
library device description. This can occur even though the device
description has ONLINE AT IPL (ONLINE) set to *YES. This may result in
CPD26D6 and CPD27EF messages being issued during the IPL. Tape drive
resources under the tape library description may have a status of
DEALLOCATED.

Anyone in the group experiencing similar issues.

Thank You
_____
Paul Steinmetz
IBM I Power9 Administrator