Jay,

You're used to software that looks up host names using the getaddrinfo() (or older gethostbyname()) API that is provided by the OS.  These routines will look in the host table entries, and if not found, will do a DNS request to find the IP address that corresponds to a host name.

It seems that the software you're running in PASE (this has nothing to do with PASE or goLang, directly, you can write software like this in any language, environment -- I've written it in RPG, for example) is not using one of those functions, but is directly calling a DNS resolver.   So it isn't looking at the host table, it's just trying to connect directly to a DNS server.

You can tell this because it says "53 ... read udp ... i/o timeout".     UDP port 53 is the standard for a DNS server.  It is trying to send a request and get back a response, and isn't getting one.

As such, you need to point it to an active DNS server that knows how to resolve your names...  NOT add them to the host table.

It kind of blows my mind that someone working in a professional business environment would be putting host names into a host table instead of using DNS.   IBM i is capable of running BIND (the same DNS server used on most Unix systems) and IBM has documentation for it here:

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/i/7.4?topic=services-domain-name-system

That is what he meant by "provide a service on port 53" -- he means run an actual DNS server instead of using the host table.