From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Vinay
Gavankar
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 11:04 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Question on Object Authority

Hi,
In our shop ALL programs in production are compiled with a "super-user" as
owner and User Profile = *OWNER ; Use adopted authority = *YES. Even all
files are owned by the same super-user.
I have a batch job running with a normal user profile. One of my files has
an Authorization List setup which has specific authority for this user which
gives only Read and Execute data rights. Super-User has all rights to the
file.

I was thinking that the batch job would not be able to add/update data to
this file. But the batch job is calling another program which is adding
records to this file.

I am not trying to stop this program from writing, but trying to understand
why it allows the write.

Is it because the write is being done by the external program running under
adopted authority of the super-user?

Would the write be allowed even if it was being done within the batch job
itself?

And if the answer to the above is Yes, I am wondering what is being achieved
by revoking the Authority in the Authorization List.

This is a big shop where us low-level programmers cannot play with Authority
Lists even on Dev box. And on the Dev box, all users have all authorities to
all files. So I cannot really test this on the Dev box.
I am planning on creating another job being run with the normal profile
which will add records to the file using a Service Program (which is also
under super-user). I just want to be sure that it will not have issues in
production.
https://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.