Larry, you are absolutely not correct that PureStorage is not supported by IBM i. It’s well supported, link below.

I’ve noticed that you always reply as the ultimate authority all “IBM i” in this mail list. I’ve been to some of your sessions and I highly respect your technical understanding and experience, but you not ultimate authority “IBM i”. For example with Pure Storage, you haven’t done a simple Google search to check if supported by the vendor.

https://support.purestorage.com/Solutions/IBM/AIX/FlashArray_for_IBM_i

________________________________
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis <midrange@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 2:24 pm
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion; Evan Harris
Subject: Re: Pure Storage

I have had customers use it for the Wintel environment and it worked
well. I have no negatives to report about the storage or the company.

For IBM i though the first thing is it is not supported. For most
customers that's a show stopper right out of the gate. But if your
customer is willing to live on unsupported storage it could be considered.

It is more work to set up than IBM Storage because it requires the use
of vSCSI rather than NPIV, so each volume needs be mapped in VIOS
between IBM i and Pure. Performance wise it is my understanding this
adds only a little overhead.

Pure does have their version of flash copy called snapshots. Will it
work for IBM i? I expect it should but, certainly it cannot be used
with PowerHA for example as there is no communications capability from
PowerHA to Pure. I also suspect the Flash Copy Toolkit from IBM would
not function with Pure.

As to remote copy I didn't find anything there but didn't spend much
time looking. It would have the same caveats as with flash copy.

So to summarize.

Not supported.
vSCSI rather than NPIV
Would need to write your own tooling to utilize snapshots.
Would need to write your own tooling to utilize remote copy (if it exists)

- DrF