From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Howie, Bill
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 1:16 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IBM i security question

Hello all,

We have an environment where some users are currently set up with the Limit Capabilities option set to *NO on their user profile. In conjunction with that, we have an array of homegrown commands that have been created as shortcuts to different programs within the system. I really don't like the users having command line access, because it opens them up to being able to do a lot of damage to the system if they so desire. It seems to me the only alternative would be to remove the command line access and change everything they have commands for to run off of menu options. Is there a way to somehow limit them to the homegrown commands but prevent them from access to things like ending subsystems or other jobs in the system, etc.? One of these folks is of the user class *USER and one is of the *PGMR user class (I'm guessing pretty obviously we'd want to downgrade the user class on this one). Or is it that if you have command line access, it's to all commands and there is really no w ay to limit it? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

[Related image]<https://www.hc-companies.com/>Bill Howie Senior ERP Programmer/Analyst
Direct: 330.487.3739 | Cell: 330.888.8085 | Toll Free: 800.225.7712
2450 Edison Blvd, Suite 3, Twinsburg OH 44087 hc-companies.com<https://www.hc-companies.com/>
Leader in Horticultural Containers
[cid:image003.png@01D76781.CECC8130]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-hc-companies> [cid:image004.png@01D76781.CECC8130] <https://www.facebook.com/HCCompanies/> [cid:image005.png@01D76781.CECC8130] <https://www.instagram.com/hccompanies/> [cid:image006.png@01D76781.CECC8130] <https://twitter.com/hc_companies>

Disclaimer