Patrick,

ok, I know it's late, but I have the answer today.

If you want to migrate to any cloud, to a new datacenter and can't move physical media, or when there's no compatibility between your backup media and there's not enough disk space for a backup to your local disk, VTL is the answer... or NFS.

I found documentation on IBM portal, and suddenly this page dissapear last week...

So I've created my own article in LinkedIN (this time in english) on how to use a Linux NFS system to backup my IBM i system.

Seems confusing on first setup, but once it's working it's easy. And can run the "dd" command from your Linux to avoid network traffic.

My option 21 on 1Gb network from my Power8 system (0.25 cores) to my tiny PC Linux box took 16 minutes (95 GB total ASP, 36% used) , then I used PIGZ on the Linux side to compress and send to IBM Cloud Object Storage (2 hours 16 min on my 10 Mbps test Internet connection). Compressed file on IBM COS : 9 GB.

I've also tested to restore from this ISO using NFS and works really well (easier than BRMS procedure with NFS).

If still interested here's the link:

https://bit.ly/3d01iY4

Regards

Diego E. KESSELMAN