Ok, you'd be hard pressed to find a file name too long for ADDIMGCLGE.
I guess I can hear you saying "but there's only so many characters on that parameter!". You'd only be partially right. Let's go back to command prompting 101. If you type in &, and only &, into that field and press enter it makes it bigger. Thus it would allow a longer file name. You can repeat it, multiple times, to make it even bigger.
However, you can avoid ADDIMGCLGE altogether. Instead, have all your files in the directory for that image catalog. In my case it's /fixes/V7. Once they are there instead of using ADDIMGCLGE you simply run this
CALL PGM(QVOIFIMG) PARM('catalog-name' '*ALL' 0)
The documentation at https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/i/7.4?topic=catalog-preparing-tape-image-install-software
does not say you do not need to run step 4 if you used the QVOIFIMG API.
After you run that API if you do a WRKIMGCLG and use 12=Work with entries you will see those entries now.

Now, what's your definition of "many, many files"? Two dozen? A hundred? A thousand? Anything less than two dozen or so is not out of the realm of possibility.