"Fix" is an interesting word!

There is a way to do it which results in a consistent working version that will co-habit with plug-ins.

These are the instructions that I used for my recent reinstall. Before I started I uninstalled the previous version and killed IM - I had (foolishly it turned out) allowed it to update itself! That is a real problem DON'T DO IT!

THE critical thing is to use the user install.

The current RDI installer pre-dates Mac OS X Catalina so some actions need to be take to get it to install and be functional. The best way right now is a User install as the default Admin install will likely run into some insurmountable authority issues. So here are some steps.
Before you unzip the installer follow the step in this document to run the xattr -C command against the RDI installer .zip before unpacking it:
https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/node/503323 <https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/node/503323>
Also prepare the system Java environment to be able to run IM and RDI
https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/issues-rational-developer-i-v960x-and-macos-catalina-version-1015 <https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/issues-rational-developer-i-v960x-and-macos-catalina-version-1015>
You might have to re-do this after any system Java update.
Unpack the .zip containing the RDI installer. In the installer image navigate into directory disk1\InstallerImage_macosx_cocoa_x86_64 and run the Userinst.app. This should start IM and show that it will install at least RDI 9.6.0.6. If you do a search for updates (if not shown already) it should find 9.6.0.8. Should a Java/JRE update also be listed, UNselect that from the install. Finish the install using the default directories will be fine.
I found the best results by NOT applying the JRE update that comes with 9.6.0.8. Also do NOT allow IM to update beyond the version that is shipped with RDI otherwise the install will likely not be successful.
This will install into \Users\<your-userid>\IBM\SDP with IM and the shared resources also under the IBM directory.
Create an alias for the RDI app and drag the alias into the applications folder or the toolbar at the bottom of your desktop. Do the same for IM if desired.

Jon Paris