Hi Pete,

it really depends how big your data (or your variable) is.
If it is shorter then 32K you can write it into a VarChar-Variable CCSID 1208 (UTF-8)
If it is longer then 32K you have to write it into a CLOB-Variable CCSID 1208.
When using CLOB-Variables, be aware that the SQL precompiler converts the variable into a Data Structure with the Sub-Fields:
1. Name of the Clob Variable with suffix _LEN (Definition UNS(10))
2. Name of the CLOB Variable with the suffix _DATA (Definition CHAR(Length of your Variable).
With RPG you have to use the data structure subfields and with SQL you use the data structure name.

Here an example:
DCL-S GblJSONData SQLType(CLOB: 1000000) CCSID(1208);

//More RPG Code
//Generate and output the JSON into the CLOB-Variable
exec sql
With x as (....)
Select JSON_Object(...)
into :GblJSONData
From x;

If SQLCODE < *Zeros;
//Handle SQL Error
EndIf;

//Write the data to the Web
WrtStdout(%Addr(GblJSONData_Data): GblJSONData_Len: DsApierr);
On-Error;
EndMon;

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." (Les Brown)
"What is worse than training your staff and losing them? Not training them and keeping them!"
„Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to.“ (Richard Branson)