A trip down memory lane today. Those diskette drives even had, for some forgotten reason, an output queue assigned to them. Once I discovered that, I always set my default outq to QDKT. I never had to worry about somebody accidentally printing something I wanted to keep. 😊

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Mark Waterbury
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 11:25 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Floppy drives on ancient AS/400's

The IBM System/38 used the same bus and tag cables to connect to the I/O devices it used ... many were the same DASD and tape drives used by e.g. the 43xx line of mainframe products at that time.
The AS/400s with the SPD bus had an optional IOP/IOA that would allow you to attach any mainframe style "bus and tag" I/O devices, usually large (vaccuum column) tape drives ... I recall one customer had a nice big Memorex tape drive attached to their AS/400s in this manner.