I did exactly what Rob did. I also googled it and couldn't find a whole lot of verbiage on it.

Very Respectfully,
Michael Mayer
IBM I on Power System Admin.
IT Operations.
The Florida Bar
651 E. Jefferson St
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-2300
mmayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
https://www.floridabar.org
Office: 850.561.5761
Cell: 518.641.8906

message: 1
date: Thu, 20 May 2021 17:03:05 +0000
from: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: SST PWLVL

I tried to look at this. I suspect once you go to 2 it's a one way street because I cannot even get it to prompt for it as it says you're already at level 2.
In SST the F1 key works much different - no cursor sensitive help. Therefore you cannot position on the message and try to find out what it is.
Searching IBM for sst password level is bereft of help. The only hits I get are under this section https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/i/7.4?topic=concepts-password-policies-service-tools-user-ids
And there is no definition of what the previous levels were. Basically if you want to do x you need level 2. If you want to do y you need level 2.
Sounds like IBM is saying: Change it to 2 and stay there.

I did find some help on the menu option for it:
<snip>
Option 4. Change service tools password level
This option allows the user to change the password
level for the service tools user passwords. Password
level 1 is the default for the system.

Notes:
o The password level can not be changed back to level 1.

o The password level change does not take effect until
a user creates or changes a password.

o See the Help while changing the service tool
password level for additional information.
</snip>

IBM Certified System Administrator - IBM i 6.1 Group Dekko Dept 1600 Mail to: 7310 Innovation Blvd, Suite 104
Ft. Wayne, IN 46818
Ship to: 7310 Innovation Blvd, Dock 9C
Ft. Wayne, IN 46818
http://www.dekko.com