Jim,
You have been very lucky prior to this. I've replaced a lot more than 3 drives in the previous 20 years.
For others Jim is talking about 59E1 - 283 GB 15K RPM (4224 block size) small form factor SAS disk drive (IBM i)
The closest I have is: 19B1 - 283 GB 15K RPM (528 block size) small form factor SAS disk drive (IBM i). And these are in a Power 8 in an expansion unit.
I have lost some but nothing excessive. I don't really log how often this happens. I get that "excessive" is measured differently by different people.
My P9's are all SSD. When those were new I was going through SSD's pretty rapidly but that has settled down.