If one wants to play with V4 for hobby reasons I'm ok with that but are you really making new sales to those running V4? I was under the impression that those running V4 aren't generally spending a dime on maintenance let alone new stuff. I'd be interested to learn otherwise.

I too would be less than enthused to use the CLI way of doing SQL.
Jon Paris covered that a little in the hardcopy book I have of "Who Knew You Could Do That with RPG IV? A Sorcerer's Guide to System Access and More". SG24-5402-00

I'm grateful that my boss had no problem ponying up for the SQL precompilers.