It is a very expensive proposition. Just have either a split backplane (for
those machines that support it) and just a couple of disks or add an
expansion if more disks are needed. I have seen 770s using Dual VIOS in
that manner. It is frankly appalling to see the volume groups configured
WITHOUT any protection just because "if it fails, the other VIOS has a
copy, and mirroring is managed by the LPAR". Whoever designed that solution
didn't think about the CE that had to re-create everything from scratch
(the vg, the file backed disks, the mappings, everything) in case of a
single disk failure.
Luckily the customer had already started to move those LPARs to SAN, so in
the end I think they asked us to replace the drive and just leave it there
spinning uselessly...

Roberto

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 at 07:54, Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis <