Nice. I rather like it!
- L

On 3/17/2021 1:29 PM, Rob Berendt wrote:
-- How to verify passwords without ever storing passwords.
-- Thanks to Darren Strong of Dekko.

-- The basic concept is that you do not store the password.
-- Instead you store a common string encrypted by the password.

-- As a war on 5250 tools the "short names" are obscured.

set current schema = 'ROB';
CREATE OR REPLACE TABLE Security_table for system name T000000001
(
Security_id for column C000000001 varchar(100) ALLOCATE(10) not null constraint Security_table_primary_key PRIMARY KEY,
Security_name for column C000000002 varchar(100) ALLOCATE(25) not null,
Password_Encryption for column C000000003 varchar(256) FOR BIT DATA
)
RCDFMT T00000001R
;
-- Let's say the password is Budweiser#01.
-- So you encrypt the word VALID with that as an encryption key and all you are really storing is VALID.
insert into Security_table (
Security_id, Security_name, Password_Encryption)
Values('ROB', 'Rob Berendt', ENCRYPT_TDES(varchar('VALID'), 'Budweiser#01'));
-- Now when they enter their password you pass that as a decryption key to see if it is valid.
Select DECRYPT_CHAR(Password_Encryption, 'Budweiser#01')
from Security_table
where Security_id = 'ROB';
-- Test to see if the user 'ROB' was found'
-- Test to see if the encryption key was valid by checking the value returned.
-- If the value returned was not the word VALID the person entered an invalid password.
-- Or don't let the user know they guessed the userid and return generic error if either is invalid.

Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 7310 Innovation Blvd, Suite 104
Ft. Wayne, IN 46818
Ship to: 7310 Innovation Blvd, Dock 9C
Ft. Wayne, IN 46818
http://www.dekko.com