Got a customer box that did something very strange this morning:

In their startup program (i.e., the one specified in QSTRUPPGM), we have inserted a block of code to start the subsystem used by the Tomcat server that runs the web interface for that CRM product, start the server for our CRM product, and then start the Tomcat server. There is nothing in that block that would cause it to start the subsystem and the CRM server, but skip the Tomcat start.

Normally, sometime between midnight and 6 AM, they do something (I'm guessing at least a backup) that involves shutting down (at minimum) several subsystems. It may or may not include a full IPL. All I do know is that every morning, sometime between 1 AM and 6 AM, a job with a name in the form nnnnn/QPGMR/QSTRUPJD runs, and it calls QSYS/QWDAJPGM.

This morning, the subsystem and the CRM server both started, but the Tomcat server didn't (and had to be started manually).

All of these jobs are set to produce joblog spool files, and I don't see anything different between the ones from the jobs that started this morning and the jobs that started yesterday morning, except that the Tomcat server's CATALINA job got started manually, several hours after it was supposed to start automatically. In particular, the joblogs from the nnnnn/QPGMR/QSTRUPJD jobs look identical.

The startup program hasn't changed since last year, and QSYS/QWDAJPGM (which I've never heard of until today) hasn't changed since 2015.

Does anybody here have any insights?

--
JHHL