The Auditors aren't as concerned that one person is wearing a lot of hats, as long as someone is verifying that the one person is not doing things to line his pockets at company expense!

A change management system is nice, but it's even more important that there's a wall between test and production, and that someone 'in authority' makes the decision that code should be promoted--
1--program code is changed
2--someone tests to make sure the change works as intended - and signs a document that it worked.
3--someone (not the same as #2) authorizes moving the code change to production -
likewise signs- maybe countersigns the document in #2
4--The 1 Man moves the code to production
5--An audit report run over the production environment lists any objects that have changed. In the event of an issue, produce the paperwork that authorized the changes.

People who ask for a change must be willing to test the change and sign a document certifying that the change was made and that it works properly. This means they must actually TEST the change, and are willing to sign their life away! Sometimes their reaction is "I don't have time for this paperwork nonsense!" Stand your ground (I know, it can get shakey if someone higher up the ladder is desperate to get the change in place), and make them sign!

Next, someone in authority must be willing and able to authorize the move to production. Sometimes, this person gets blurred with the person OKing the changes.

In any event, you're going to need 4 source code libraries:

A) A developer's library, where changes to the code are made and preliminary testing is performed. Programmers have full access to this library.

B) A test library. The proposed changes are moved (By the one-man band) from the programmer's library to the test library. They are tested against a copy of the production files to see if the changes worked. Programmers have read-only access to this library. If they need to make further changes to their code, they have to copy it back to library A, then the #1 Man moves it back to B.

C) An Archive library. Before the changes are moved to production, the OLD production code is moved to the Archive library. just in case. Ideally, you should keep multiple previous copies. We have an ARCHIVE command. It moves things to the Archive library. But if the object is already in the archive, that version is named to another name, and then the changes are archived. Our system allows for up to 4 versions of old code (and objects): OBJECT, OBJECT$, OBJECT#, OBJECT@. In the collating sequence, you'll see them in that sequence. The CMS package will keep as many old versions as you like (within reason).

D) A production library. Once tested and approved, the changes are moved to production.

The One Man Band has full access to B, C, and D. ("I have allobject authority, and I'm not afraid to use it!") But he only moves things once he has the paperwork to justify it!

Making auditors happy is not an inexpensive proposition! It can cost real $$ to buy a CMS package, or it can add extra paperwork and manpower changes that make it possible to document the changes. Even with a CMS package, someone has to turn the crank and make it work-- authorize people to check out the code, make changes, request a promotion to production, etc.

The key is to get the auditors to approve whatever procedure you create! Their goal is to document any changes and who authorized them.

--Paul E Musselman

.