Outline?

On 2/16/2021 12:59 PM, Richard Schoen wrote:
So here's a question then:

What sort of things would make VS Code more of a goto for RPG/CL ?

-Syntax checking - There's a couple plugins already.
-Source management. The scripts I created work for my purposes, but others may not agree.
-Easy compiling
-Database lookups (Similar to DSPFFD to get field defs)
-Run commands maybe (can be done easily with shell scripts)
-Running/debugging - Most like not gonna happen unless someone else can do this.

To be honest, RDI is still the main goto for most RPG devs that actually took the leap, but VS Code feels pretty good once you start using it.

I don't expect the super-classic crowd to move from SEU, but they can still adopt git: http://www.iforgit.com

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Web: http://www.richardschoen.net
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

message: 1
date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 12:39:11 -0600
from: Justin Taylor <jtaylor.0ab@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: VS Code and Editing Classic Source Members

I saw someone mention that IBM officially supports VS Code for z development. Assuming that's true, than i might not be a total non-starter.

Personally, Eclipse fits me like a favorite pair of jeans, but I've seen others struggle.

date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 09:11:52 +0000
from: Tim Fathers <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: VS Code and Editing Classic Source Members

I would love to see VS Code support for IBM i developed further, I
find Eclipse horribly clunky by comparison.

message: 2
date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 18:57:25 +0000
from: Karl Haggart <karl.haggart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: VS Code and Editing Classic Source Members

Also used VS Code for a lot of non-rpg development in the past and liked it a lot but agree on the lack of the native functionality. As another alternative, and especially If you like eclipse based products but don't need the full blown RDi solution, take a look at MiWorkplace.

Full disclaimer, I work for the new owners of the product, but just wanted to share that its out there as another alternative that you may not have heard about.