Hello Thomas,

Am 15.02.2021 um 19:31 schrieb Thomas Garvey <tgarvey@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Display Device Parity Status

Parity Resource Hot Spare
Set ASP Unit Type Model Name Status Protection
1 2BE1 001 DC01 RAID 5 N
1 2 198C 099 DMP020 Unprotected
1 1 198C 099 DMP013 Unprotected
1 4 198C 099 DMP005 Unprotected
1 5 198C 099 DMP001 Unprotected
1 8 198C 099 DMP009 Failed
1 3 198C 099 DMP015 Unprotected
1 6 198C 099 DMP011 Unprotected
1 7 198C 099 DMP007 Unprotected

In addition to other people's valid comments…

I had one occasion some months ago, with a 8203-E4A containing five disks in a RAID5. One was marked as faulty over night. I know that there are other than fatal faults, so from habit in the PC-World, I just re-added that disk (forced a rebuild, I can't recall the precise thing I did in SST). If it really had a (media related) problem, rebuild would have kicked it out again.

Rebuild went without any problems. That particular disk hasn't been conspicuous for months now.

(From the beginning, there's a solid backup strategy in place for that machine, involving monthly save 21's, and daily savechgobj to an automatically created iso image being ftp'd to a backup server afterwards. IFS isn't used beyond what was installed there through the OS itself.)

This outcome matches with my decades old experiences with PC servers (not no-name crap, I'm talking about HPE and IBM, for example) running Linux. I describe that as SCSI- (1990's, early 2000's) and today, SAS-Hiccups, from the apparent lack of something being broken. RAID logic doesn't get answer from the drive in a timely manner and declares it as faulty. A lot of kernel log entries, but no clear culprit. Happens once every one or two years per machine, depending on I/O load.

Just saying. Your mileage may vary.

:wq! PoC