<snip>
This should trigger a secondary update
</snip>
WRONG! It will NOT trigger a secondary update. You are changing the trigger buffer being passed to the row. See the ALWREPCHG on ADDPFTRG.
You are updating the buffer being passed before it gets to disk. It only knows of the one update. "I think" the audit journal entry will only display the final results of the buffer. Which brings up some interesting questions on an audit.

ProgramA does a WRITE or UPDATE to FILEA. FILEA has a trigger on it with ALWREPCHG set to yes. The name of the trigger is TRIGGERA. TRIGGERA can modify the buffer passed from PROGRAMA before it hits the disk. Or it could abort the write by issuing an exception message. If PROGRAMA does not have the appropriate error checking it will abort. Really hosed those programs which always assumed that any error on a WRITE was due to a duplicate key and automatically switched to an UPDATE instead (or generated a new key). Big reason why I'm not a fan of the MONMSG CPF0000 attitude