Good luck in the 500 Larry - you can do it - we have faith in you!

On Feb 9, 2021, at 1:16 PM, Larry DrFranken Bolhuis <midrange@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At one point I had (probably still do) a simple set of programs that creates a big PF with fixed record length of 1K. It writes Hex 00 to the entire file then writes FFs then writes 33 then writes AA. Then deletes the thing. We would run several of these processes at the same time so that the system was as busy as the disks could handle. Fill 'em to 99%+ full.

To start the process though we would IPL to DST, delete the ASP, end RAID or mirror, then add ALL disks to the ASP unprotected, install just IBM i and these programs. This way we've smoked all security data and user profiles and company data making all that space available to be written on. Next the programs write over everything including any drives that were raid striped or hot spares with multiple passes of different patterns. As a consequence, getting back usable data from that would be monumentally expensive. Potentially possible, yes, and in theory I could win the Daytona 500 on Sunday too.

- DrF