Ah - meant it for the list, I'm using a new install of the Thunderbird email client. I'll have to be sure to use reply to list instead. And I replied here to the list.

I get your thinking - maybe submit an RFE for this, to do the check you suggest.

Vern

On 2/6/2021 7:35 PM, smith5646midrange@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
This was a direct reply to me and not to the midrange group. Did you mean to do that?

If you close all of the editing sessions before closing RDI, when you start RDI and then open a source member that has been modified outside of RDI, it is smart enough to retrieve the most recent version.

Since it is smart enough to do that, I would expect it to be smart enough to at least check and providing a warning when starting RDI and not just blindly opening the last open version of the source member which is now out of sync.

As for the merge, this is a brand new program and I basically "shuffled" the code like a deck of cards. Stuff was moved all over everywhere, some added, some deleted, some procedures and variables renamed. It was a mess and a royal pain.

-----Original Message-----
From: Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 6, 2021 7:57 PM
To: smith5646midrange@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Multiple versions

I hope I can make some sense of this - I run into it, too, esp. when I was dropping connections.

The changes from early in the week were made to a copy that is on your PC - until you save it, where it gets "synchronized" with the IBM i - there's even that word in the status bar.

Now things are the same in both places. Now even though you left it open in RDi, or shall I say the editor view was there. Once you close down, there is no connection maintained to the i. So the next time you open RDi, it has no idea about the changes you make either in SEU or in RDi on a different machine.

It __does__ compare last-change date and time, though, when you save it again from RDi - fortunately, right?

I think there is some setting in RDi about opening things again when you start RDi - I'm not sure, someone can verify. And I don't know if it exactly handles this matter - maybe there is some way to do it at the start of a session, where you'd get the check when you are in an edit window, not just browsing.

As to merging, i find the "Compare to each other" tool to be really useful most of the time - that is available when you select 2 members in RSE, the Remote System Explorer - not the delta icon in the toolbar, although that is also useful at times. "Compare to each other" puts the members side by side, and you can choose what should be merged - it's like the 55 PDM option that lets me choose the merge - I don't exactly trust software to just merge everything.

HTH

Vern