It's been a while but, the Partition ID only supported two digits IIRC. Once we hit Partition ID's above 15, it kept failing so we reexamined what was available and found the dlpar API, which was actually documented.
I think maybe we also ran into a site that had the highest security level and it didn't like us using it.

Best Regards,

Thomas Garvey