So I THINK a missed step is that OOTB as you say machines with one partition have a checkbox set to "Power OFF when last partition is shut down."

On your HMC go to "All Systems > Your machine > General Settings."

Under the 'General Properties' the very last item is that checkbox noted above. Remove that checkmark. (And be sure to SAVE!)

Now when you power down your IBM i partition it should not go away because the SERVER will remain running even though the partition is down. I think this is the cause of your puzzlement!!

- Dr F