What error are you getting and where in the process is it being issued?

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of smith5646midrange@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, January 8, 2021 9:58 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion' <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Auto refresh screen problem

I have a program that I have written to help me watch the jobs that I am running for a system conversion. It contains two subfiles, one shows all abended jobs and the other shows the active jobs. If an active job goes into MSGW state, the job highlights yellow.

Since the subfile records have the jobinfo, I wanted to add an FKey to allow me to display the job. For the abends, it will give me quicker access to the joblog.

The both control records have OVERLAY and INVITE and the screen was created with WAITRCD(5).

The logic in the program is at follows.

dou endOfTime
init sub1
load sub1
write control1
init sub2
load sub2
write control2
read(e) screenfile
select
when fKey = F3
endOfTime = *on
when FKey = F4
Display job
endsl
enddo

This is working as expected except I occasionally get an error that appears to be when the screenfile times out and I hit an FKey at the exact same time. If I let the screen refresh and then I hit the FKey before the 5 second timeout, it never abends. I'm pretty sure the abend occurs in the init of the first subfile.

Just to be clear with the init logic, it works fine as long as the timeout and FKey do not happen at the same instant and the init logic is also the same logic that I have used for 20+ years without a problem.until I tried to write and auto refresh program. :(

Is there some trick to the auto-refresh screens that I don't know about that handles this scenario? Is there something that I need to do after the
read(e) if the %error is tripped (I don't know if it is tripped) that resets the screen? Or did I find a bad website example for how to do this and I'm all messed up?