we use VIPA on the IBM i for Ethernet fail-over
the following has worked for years. no system outage because of one Ethernet failure.

pardon the formatting

Internet Subnet Line Line
Address Mask Description Type
1.2.3.4 255.255.255.255 *VIRTUALIP *NONE
1.2.3.2 255.255.255.0 ETHLINE1 *ELAN
1.2.3.3 255.255.255.0 ETHLINE2 *ELAN

*VIRTUALIP
Preferred interfaces
Internet address . . : 1.2.3.2
Internet address . . : 1.2.3.3

Route Subnet Next Preferred
Destination Mask Hop Interface
*DFTROUTE *NONE 1.2.3.1 1.2.3.3
*DFTROUTE *NONE 1.2.3.1 1.2.3.2

the route setup will have outbound connections use the VIPA address(which is the DNS) that helps FW and mail relays.

Bryan