Darren,

What is the expected average size of the spreadsheets to be created ?

We use POI Version 3.14 which is the last version before the introduction
of ENUMS for many of the classes.

We use Scott's HSSFR4 which has been modified to add additional functions
as required.

The majority of the spreadsheets that we generate are in the 100 to 2000
rows and these take a few seconds.

Recently some government reporting requirements for some of our clients
resulted in some very large spreadsheets and we started using SXSSF which
solved the problem of the large spreadsheet but introduced a new problem
that it was too big to email. These spreadsheets were well over 50MB and
the largest close to a million records and yes this did take a couple of
hours to produce.

Yes being on POI3.14 does mean we are frozen in time until we make time to
modify the procedure calls for ENUMS but we are quite satisfied with what
we can produce.

Calling each function from RPG may be slow but it is all relative to how
big the spreadsheet is and how many spreadsheets you need to generate.

Nice thing about HSSFR4 is it is easy to learn and easy to expand with
excel functions not originally provided by Scott.

Just my two cents.

Cheers

Don