On Dec 16, 2020, at 10:34 AM, Darren Strong <darren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well...just stumbled on the following. Looks like there may be a C library that might be interesting. I hope someone didn't already point this out to me...sorry if you did.

http://blog.rpgnextgen.com/blog/2018/03/21/libxlsxwriter-creating-spreadsheets-natively

It is very interesting, and I can vouch for its quality, because it is
from the same author as the Python library I use, XlsxWriter.

He is an extremely meticulous developer, and his expertise with Excel
is extensive. He wrote basically the same library initially in Perl,
then ported it to Python (maybe partly as a learning exercise???). I
think he may have written it in Ruby as well. The C version you are
looking at is, not surprisingly, the hardest one to enhance and
maintain. It is less feature-rich than the Perl and Python versions,
but still should have more than enough functionality for most use
cases.