Not sure what kind of controller you are creating or have created, but if
you create a controller of type *HPRIP a bit of this complexity goes away.

This link might help:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzajt/rzajtexhpripconn.htm

I am guessing you've started subsystem QSNADS ? (got a feeling that has to
be going.)

You might also need to add the locations using the WRKCFGL command.

I don't do this very often and usually brute force my way through it as
well.