It is what I inherited and I kept it as is. I'm very familiar with the *UNPROTECTED
Status and how to use them.
There are multiple partitions with specific BRMS control groups and tape categories.
For me as the only admin in a large installation with daily, weekly, monthly and other backups
It was easier to leave it alone for now.
Eventually I'll get to it.
I probably can leave all of the drives *UNPROTECTED and let the partitions grab the
various tapes regardless of category set on the control groups and tapes when the backups
kick off.

------------------------------

message: 2
date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 19:09:39 +0100
from: Marc Rauzier <marc.rauzier@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: CL command to vary off a line description

Le 06/11/2020 ? 18:00, Mayer, Michael via MIDRANGE-L a ?crit?:
VRYCFG CFGOBJ(TAPMLB04) CFGTYPE(*MLBRSC) STATUS(*ALLOCATE)
RSRCNAME(TAP03)

When the backups have completed (via BRMS), we have a WRKCTLGBRM entry
at the end of it that Call a program that does this:

PGM
VRYCFG CFGOBJ(TAPMLB04) CFGTYPE(*MLBRSC) +
STATUS(*DEALLOCATE) RSRCNAME(TAP03) ENDPGM

Not sure to understand why you allocate and deallocate.

If you set the resource as *UNPROTECTED on all systems which share it, any system can use it when needed if it is not used by another one. And this resource allocation remains the same after a vary off/on sequence or an IPL.

I am just looking at KnowledgeCenter for V7R1, and they write that this valued is not recommended. I cannot see why. We use it for almost 20 years, and with old versions such as V5R2 and never got any issue. If the drive is used by a system, it cannot be use by another one, just like if you set the resource as *ALLOCATE.

They removed this recommendation on V7R2, V7R3, and V7R4.

Please note: Florida has very broad public records laws. Many written communications to or from The Florida Bar regarding Bar business may be considered public records, which must be made available to anyone upon request. Your e-mail communications may therefore be subject to public disclosure.